Thursday, September 18, 2008

80

Eighty years ago today, my father was born. As a young teen he was raised by his sisters, who cared for and mothered him, while his parents were elsewhere. Following an early entry into the military in his late teens, he became a self made man in all respects. It was life's tutoring moments in his early years that shaped and molded him as a man of kindness, meekness, integrity, trust, honor and capacity. He is truly loved and appreciated by all who know him. He is a true friend to many, which speaks for itself, as his friendships have been lifelong, whether from his days in the military, his corporate life, or associations along the pathway of life. As a self-made man, he overcame the difficult challenges of growing up without the mentoring of loving parents, served in the military, worked his way through college and graduate school, and rose to the top in every organization he was ever associated with. Even so, he was never willing to compromise the principles that mattered, choosing integrity over convenience and accommodation. It is through my father's tutoring example that I have learned the invaluable character traits of hard work, honesty and integrity, fidelity and devotion to what is right, kindness and compassion, patience and tenderness. Through him, I learned to love the ocean and sailing. By and through his counsel, I chose my profession. When I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it was my father who sat with me and counseled me about obedience to gospel principles, even in the paying of tithes and offerings. There are vivid moments in my memory, sitting with my dad to discuss career and educational choices, listening to his counsel regarding my commitment to the Savior when I chose to enter the waters of baptism, being coached by him in little league and on the basketball court, caddying for him on the golf course and knowing he would always ask me which club he should use (always an 8 iron), and teaching me to sail and find joy on the calming waters of the Pacific... Never lacking his support and confidence, and feeling his encouragement in all things, I appreciate my Dad and am forever grateful that he is my father.

Dad, for one who never personally experienced the loving and mentoring care of a parent in your life, you have surely met the full measure of your creation as my father and as a father to Bob and Dan. Thanks for being there and helping me to become who I am today. Happy 80th birthday! I love you!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

David you are truly a beloved son and what a great tribute of love to you father.
Love you very much
Mom

stephanie said...

what a nice tribute. we love you both!