Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sabbath Reflections - What Matters?

We made a quick trip to Southlake to see our Texans these past couple of days, and look forward to the coming journeys to Nevada, Arizona, California and Indiana in the next couple of months. Although we have no plans to visit Washington DC in the near future, our constant is found in change, so who knows. In any event we look forward to our family "counting" (gathering) in October for the Chapman University unveiling of 'Bill and Barbara Parker Atrium Lobby.' (notice the orange and pink)

Sabbath Reflections
Sunday's are always great days for quiet reflection and contemplation. Having spent so much time with our kids and grandkids lately, and having just returned from Texas, my reflections have turned to family. While sitting in church today and singing the hymns my mind harkened back to years past when our kids were in fact kids, little children, even babies. It must have been the hymns that we sung today. But every time we sing Abide with Me, I Know That My Redeemer Lives, Silent Night, Families Can Be Together Forever, I Feel My Savior's Love ..., these tender thoughts re-emerge. As vivid as memories can be, especially for me these days, I thought of days' past when Lauren and I would share our daily evening routine of singing our kids to sleep at night, either while rocking them in a chair, in our arms, or just attending their bedsides. We would often sing hymns and Primary songs until they were fast asleep. What sweet memories!

I suppose it was the tender memories of singing the kids to sleep that caused me to further reflect on one of my favorite phrases, "it mattereth not." It is in knowing what truly matters and what doesn't that affords us valued perspective in life. For to know what matters and be anxiously engaged therein, increases our God-given capacities for success. It is when we are diluted or distracted by that which "mattereth not", that we become weary, frustrated and constrained or diminished, in whatever course we choose. If success is found in striving to meet the full measure of our creation, then it is incumbent upon us to be discerning as to what matters; in marriage, in parenting, in family, in our societal responsibilities and in life. I can still remember a story told by Stephen Covey of the family whose choice it was to spend their annual bonus on renovating a bathroom or taking a family vacation - his conclusion was that in the years that followed, little would be remembered of the bathroom, whereas the memories of the family vacation would linger through the ages. The perspective of attending and responding to what matters brings so much more peace and satisfaction in life. Inherent in its demand is to subordinate our self interests to those of others, hence the peace and joy derived thereby. Our joy is full as we think of our family and visit with each, even if they are spread in 6 states!

In the illustration above of loving our kids to sleep, will they remember us singing them to sleep at night, or getting them a drink as they sought to delay bedtime? Probably not, but the time spent, the peace felt and the love nurtured, if it did not profoundly affect them, it did me! These wonderful and tender memories continue as we visit our kids now as adults and have the opportunity to love our grandkids to sleep!

7 comments:

stephanie said...

i remember you and mom standing in our doorway singing song after song. stella likes "i need thee every hour." i love you guys. i am so grateful for our eternal family and the peace the gospel brings.

Leslie said...

i remember all the songs, too. silent night, i feel the savior's love, etc. they won't forget, either. thanks for all the special favors you do for them while you're here. i guess we're just too mean to get late night drinks. :)

we miss you already, hurry up october!

and thanks for the orange. :)

anna said...

Hi Brother and Sister Parker, this is Anna (Sanford) Low -I found your blog off your daughters' amazing blogs. I hope you don't mind that I wandered over to your blog today, but I think it was an answer to prayers. I am very grateful for your inspiring words. They brought a lot of peace and comfort to me on a very chaotic and overwhelming day. Your kids are very lucky to have you as parents. And you have helped remind me what is important in my daily activities.

- Anna Low

Barbara said...

Great blog David. I know parents often wonder what their children remember of their childhood ( as I often do). The love and nurture that you give to those children do carry over and they in turn will give it to their chidren.
Love you
Mom

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

everytime i still here "i need thee every hour" i am reminded of those nights you and mom sang to us.

love you

tara said...

Brother Parker. I love your blog. I'm a friend of Leslie's and she is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your sepcial memories. I know Leslie remembers the singing... I remember her talking about it, and on her blog. Parents are the best. You and Lauren are no exception.

I also enjoy reading your political scene blog. it is informative and wholesome. I have never much liked politics, but a few years ago i learned how to "tolerate" all the banter, because it IS important. Our quality of life depends on it, but not at the expense of what really matters, and so I give it due time, and then forget about it for a while.

thanks.

joojierose said...

of course i remember you singing... standing in the doorway, i need thee every hour is still one of my favorite memories, as others have mentioned. thank you so much for singing us to sleep each night, it was incredibly comforting, and a kind of comfort that remains to this day. i can still feel the warmth of those nights and the spirit of your voices singing. love you both.